Plants that are poisonous to your Pets

It's that time of year that the bulbs are starting to sprout in the garden, ready to grow over winter into beautiful flowers.

While flowers are beautiful to have in the garden, there are a lot of flowers that can be poisonous to pets; geraniums, tulips and azaleas should be avoided, but overall, the most toxic flower to cats and dogs is the Lily.

Lillies are highly poisonous to cats, ingestion of even a small amount can cause irreversible kidney failure.

Symptoms of lily toxicity are

  • Vomiting.
  • Inappetance or not eating at all.
  • Drooling.
  • Hiding.
  • Lethargy or malaise.
  • Halitosis (unpleasant smell to the breath).
  • Excessive or decreased thirst and urination.

If you think your pet has ingested something toxic contact Fremantle Animal Hospital immediately, and we can give you appropriate advice.



Skip Navigation Links.

(Click the arrows to expand)